RMIT English Language Test for Aviation (RELTA) is an
English language test designed to assess pilots, air traffic controllers
and light aircraft pilots for licensing purposes, as required by the
ICAO Language Proficiency Requirements.
RELTA uses aviation scenarios to reliably and effectively measure
English language skills in both face-to-face and radiotelephony
- Assessment of listening and speaking skills for licensing purposes according to ICAO requirements.
- Test results evaluated using ICAO six-band language rating scale.
- Local delivery and assessment by examiners trained and accredited by RMIT English Worldwide.
- Regular monitoring of RELTA to ensure validity and reliability.
RELTA and ICAO Compliance
RELTA for has been developed to meet the ICAO language proficiency requirements for testing:
- RELTA addresses the specificlanguage needs of pilots. RELTA for Air Traffic Controllers assess language proficiency of ATCs
- RELTA assesses candidates at all six ICAO language proficiency levels
- RELTA reflects the requirements of the ICAO holistic
descriptors in the test design, format,administration and scoring
- The ICAO rating scales applied in the rating processes
- RELTA assesses proficiency in both phraseology and plain English in radiotelephony communications
- RELTA is a direct test of listening and speaking ability. RELTA does not assess reading,writing skills or grammar knowledge
- Computers are utilised in the delivery of RELTA to enhance
authenticity and task interactivity and allow for standardised and
- RELTA requires candidates to communicate with examiners directly
- RELTA is rated by at least two accredited raters so that results are fair and reliable
- RELTA has been trialled with non-native and native-speaking personnel
- RELTA has been rigorously checked for reliability and validity through statistical analysis of test data
- RELTA rating and reporting processes are externally controlled by RMIT English Worldwide to maintain test security and quality
- RELTA Examiners and RELTA Raters complete accreditation and recurrent training programs to maintain quality standards
- Multiple versions of RELTA are developed and maintained by RMIT
Click on the boxes below to go to corresponding practice test.